‘Trainee Solicitors are the lifeblood of the firm. At Joelson we are proud that so many, including me, have grown with the firm and become partners.’
Niall McCann, Training Principal
Our trainee solicitors are vital to our future success. We invest time and energy in ensuring that we employ the best candidates and that we provide excellent and varied training. Our retention rate on qualification is high and many of our trainees go on to become senior associates and partners with the firm.
We look for personable, hard-working, tenacious individuals. Here are some answers to questions typically asked:
We are a progressive, dynamic law firm. We pride ourselves on our personal approach to business. Our values are: trust; service; drive; knowledge and expertise; enthusiasm. These values are important to us on a daily basis, both in our internal dealings with colleagues and our external relationships with our clients.
If you join us you will:
- Experience life in a commercial law firm based in the heart of London’s West End
- Be welcomed into a professional, stimulating working environment
- Be part of the firm’s social life: we will encourage you to get involved with our social and charity committees. We organise regular social events
- Be supported by a system of regular performance appraisals to ensure you have all that you need to grow and develop
- Receive a competitive salary and access to the firm’s discretionary bonus scheme
The two year training contract will normally consist of four ‘seats’ of six months each in different departments. These may include:
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Property including Construction
- Licensing, Gambling and Regulatory
You will gain experience in all aspects of being a lawyer including guidance in how to manage your work efficiently. Skills training will cover drafting, negotiation, legal and court procedures and case/transaction management, as well as client care, research and communication.
Our Training Principal will have overall responsibility for your training and will guide and mentor you throughout the training contract. You will also have a supervisor in each seat, to oversee your day to day work and support you as you learn. Your supervisor and the partners in your department will ensure that you have a full and varied workload and appropriate skills training.
You will be formally appraised by your supervisor at the end of each seat to review your overall performance and assess the development of your skills.
We are looking for talented, outgoing individuals who are interested in business as well as being enthusiastic about the law. You will need strong academic credentials including A* - B grades at A Level and at least a 2:1 degree in Law or another academic subject. Some relevant work experience in the legal sector is also recommended.
We will be accepting applications for 2020 training contracts in December 2019. Further details on how to apply will be provided nearer the time.